News

Council get budget blues as spending takes toll

THE region will have to dig deep this coming financial year.

South Burnett Regional Council is facing a $508,000 deficit instead of a surplus of $1.68million it originally forecast.

The council's finance portfolio spokesman, councillor Keith Campbell, said he didn't think in his "wildest dreams" the council's budget would deteriorate in the way it has.

He said the result was significantly down from the September forecast of a $1.68million surplus.

Cr Campbell said after the impact of the flood damage restoration works was removed and funds carried forward from 2011/12 were taken into account, the deficit would stand at $500,000.

"The shocks this council has endured in the past few months have had devastating effects on our budget," he said.

"We have lost $1.2million in funding from the Regional Road Grants and more recently we lost $180,000 from the Federal Assistance Grants.

"Having money from revenue like this stripped from council has put us in a challenging position and has come as a real financial shock."

Cr Campbell said the council would have to make a number of tough decisions as they begin discussions about the 2013/14 financial year.

Cr Kathy Duff said she was disappointed the Federal Government could "pull funding with no warning".

"Their decision to strip us of funding has put us in a situation where we can no longer balance the books," she said.

"It's going to be hard for us to operate knowing (this) coming into a new budget."

Cr Damien Tessmann said it was "bloody disgraceful" the council was now back where it started almost five years ago because of government funding cuts.

But he said the council would rise to the challenge.

Cr Barry Green said he was concerned about how ratepayers would have the capability to cope with more rate rises.

He said it would be "almost impossible" to reach revenue without increases in rates.

South Burnett

Topics:  budget, south burnett, south burnett regional council


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Stanwell contractor investigated for storing toxic ash

 LEGAL ACTION: The department has commenced an investigation into an allegation waste material from the Tarong power stations was not being used in accordance with relevant approvals.

Stanwell contractor investigated for illegally storing toxic ash

Fraudulent scratchie scams promise thousands

A fraudulent competition claiming to offer thousands in prizes has landed in South Burnett mailboxes.

Fraudulent scratchie scams promise thousands

Hornets claim grand final berth after lesson of mastery

Hornets Fred Cobbo charges forwards in the Hornets v Stags semi-final on Saturday, July 23 at Cherbourg.

Stags get taught a lesson by the Hornets in the first semi-final

Latest deals and offers

Missing 14-year-old girl seen in Kingaroy

Police have appealed for public assistance to find a missing girl, reportedly seen in Kingaroy.

Stanwell contractor investigated for storing toxic ash

 LEGAL ACTION: The department has commenced an investigation into an allegation waste material from the Tarong power stations was not being used in accordance with relevant approvals.

Stanwell contractor investigated for illegally storing toxic ash

Fraudulent scratchie scams promise thousands

A fraudulent competition claiming to offer thousands in prizes has landed in South Burnett mailboxes.

Fraudulent scratchie scams promise thousands

Hornets claim grand final berth after lesson of mastery

Hornets Fred Cobbo charges forwards in the Hornets v Stags semi-final on Saturday, July 23 at Cherbourg.

Stags get taught a lesson by the Hornets in the first semi-final

Mustangs knock out last year's premiers

Mustangs Coby Sullivan tries to break through the Red Ants line in the Mustangs v Red Ants semi-final on Saturday, July 23 at Cherbourg.

Mustangs clinch a spot in the preliminary finals after golden point

School bus crashes

Police are investigating the crash.

A SCHOOL bus collided with a car driving in the opposite direction.

The Bachelor host: this year's season is a cracker

The Bachelor host Osher Gunsberg.

GUNSBERG says tonight will be "the best night of TV of the year".

Kerri-Anne Kennerley to Sonia Kruger: "Stay brave"

She said her television peer should "stay brave"

Swimwear designer looking for love on The Bachelor

Noni Janur on her first day of filming.

The 25-year-old is one of 22 women vying for Richie Strahan’s heart

Elena wins MasterChef: “I’m ecstatic and eager to celebrate"

MasterChef Australia 2016 winner Elena Duggan, from Noosa.

NOOSA chefs survive marathon grand final dish by Heston Blumenthal.

Shannen Doherty shaves hair during cancer battle

Shannen Doherty has completely shaved off her hair

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles