News

Man guilty of 25 charges after for break-ins, car thefts

HANDED UP: Frankie Douglas Muir will be sentenced by the District Court.
HANDED UP: Frankie Douglas Muir will be sentenced by the District Court. Rockhampton Morning Bulletin

A MAN who committed 10 break and enter offences and stole two cars - one of which was burnt out - will be sentenced by the District Court.

Frankie Douglas Muir, 34, of Nanango, pleaded guilty in Kingaroy Magistrates Court on Friday to 25 charges of dishonesty, unlicensed driving and breaching bail between January and May.

He admitted to stealing USB sticks, mobile phones, an iPad, wallets, debit and credit cards, jewellery, Australian and foreign cash, car keys, laptops, a digital camera and a handbag in Brisbane, Kilkivan, Brooklands, Kingaroy and Nanango.

Muir used stolen credit cards to payWave purchase, he received tainted property and committed wilful damage.

Police Prosecutor Sergeant Wayne Bushell said Muir spent 16 months in prison in 2013-2014 for dishonesty offences and it did not seem to be a deterrent to him.

"As soon as he came off the sentence he recommenced his offending nature," he said.

Defence solicitor Mark Werner said Muir fell into a spiral of mental health problems and drug use and was abusing OxyContin and Valium during his crime spree. "These aren't sophisticated crimes," he said.

"They've been crimes sometimes committed whilst intoxicated and just basically wandering into buildings and taking what was available."

Magistrate Simon Young said he was not satisfied he had enough authority to decide on Muir's sentence.

"The mitigating factors that Mr Werner has just outlined are relevant and significant but do not, in my view, give me sufficient comfort that I can adequately punish Mr Muir," he said.

"It may be, Mr Muir, that the District Court will impose a sentence of three years or less. However, it also seems to me to be equally arguable, notwithstanding that significant mitigation, that given the ongoing pattern of behaviour, repeated serious offending, that it is just as open to the District Court to impose a sentence in excess of three years.

"And even if that was to be three years and one day it should probably be a matter considered by the District Court."

South Burnett

Topics:  court, district court, kingaroy, magistrate, murgon, nanango, punishment, south burnett


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Latest deals and offers

Mustangs knock out last year's premiers

THE Murgon Mustangs kept their hopes of a premiership alive, but only just.

Jayden wants his near death experience to serve as a warning

CLOSE CALL: Jayden O'Connell, 17, almost lost his leg in a quad bike accident and wants to warn others of the danger.

Jayden nearly lost his life, but he doesn't want you to

City-country divide hinders regional Pokémon Go players

POKEMON GO: Bailey Raines, 20, says the internet can drop in and out when playing the game.

Great city-country divide hinders Pokémon Go players.

Proston men earn their new work shed

The Men's Shed is a hive of activity. Photo Mike Richards / The Observer

Proston men earn their new work shed

Harry's MasterChef exit makes way for all-Noosa grand final

Harry Foster congratulates MasterChef finalists Elena Duggan and Matt Sinclair after a closely-fought semi-final.

YOUNG Rocky-born cook now working in his dream job in Tasmania.

Kim Kardashian West bemused by selfie 'drama'

Kim didn't expect her naked selfie to cause the stir it did

Alicia Vikander hasn't been home since Oscars

Alicia Vikander "hasn't been home" for nearly nine months.

Tom Hiddleston not worried about relationship attention

Attention doesn't bother 'authentic' Hiddleston

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field to expand family?

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field want more children.

Licking incident bars Ariana from performing at White House

Ariana Grande has been blocked from performing at the White House

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles