POLICE have refuted a social media rumour that a man and his two children died near Nanango in the past couple of days after a tree fell on their house.
The rumour started circulating after a Facebook user posted it to their status in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
The status read: "Saddest news, we have lost a family, tree fell on their house and killed single father and two children. Just around the corner at 7 mile diggings.......so sad so very sad, we had a tornado hit. Nobody came nobody cared and a little community has lost lives. AND NO NEWS COVERAGE! It is so true when they say if its not in Brisbane you don't here about it........."
Similar information was shared via Higgins Storm Chasing's Facebook page and had already been shared more than 700 times on Tuesday morning.
The post has been deleted.
The South Burnett Times contacted Kingaroy Police, Queensland Police Media and Ergon Energy all of which said there was no evidence to confirm the rumour as being true.
Higgins Storm Chasing's Jeff Higgins apologised for spreading the rumour.
"We have trusted information from a public source without investigating with local and state authority," Mr Higgins said.
"The rumour was posted publicly on Facebook by a lady in the Nanango region who with such expression of words sounded very believable.
"I'm very disappointed we based information on trust."
An Ergon Energy spokesman said there was no truth in the post.
"Police media rang me, I rang our guys - they haven't heard it. I'm pretty sure it would be out there if it was true."
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.