Claims death cap mushrooms caused hospitalisations

DEATH cap mushrooms are being blamed for hospitalising three Canberra residents, prompting an alert from the Australian Capital Territory's chief health officer.

The three are now in a stable condition Calvary Hospital. They told authorities they bought the potentially deadly mushrooms from a Woolworths supermarket on April 17.

In the warning, Dr Paul Kelly said it so far appeared to be an isolated incident.

There have been no other recent reports of death cap mushroom poisoning in the ACT, he said.

The alert also reminded people not to pick and eat wild mushrooms.

"It can be extremely difficult for even experienced collectors to distinguish death cap mushrooms from other edible mushrooms," Dr Kelly said.


WATCH: Unusual weather pattern headed for Kingaroy

premium_icon WATCH: Unusual weather pattern headed for Kingaroy

Residents with respiratory issues are encouraged to stay indoors

Emotions run high as family shares LifeFlight rescue story

premium_icon Emotions run high as family shares LifeFlight rescue story

Louie Brown was nearly two when a horse kicked him in the face.

RESULTS: Tough slog in the Top Gun Challenge

premium_icon RESULTS: Tough slog in the Top Gun Challenge

Four South Burnett teams battled it out in the Top Gun Challenge.