Massive terror raids in Melbourne arrest 17-year-old

A 17-year-old boy will face court charged with terrorism offences after a tip-off led to a raid on a suburban Melbourne home last week.

The tip-off to the national security hotline led to a nine-day joint Victorian and federal police operation that culminated in the raid and arrest on Friday.

After a search of a Greenvale home, police found three "items", believed to be home-made explosives, before arresting the 17-year-old.

The teenager was charged on Friday with offences including planning or preparing for a terrorist act, and possessing things connected with a terrorist act.

Australian Federal Police deputy commissioner Mike Phelan said the arrest was a "sobering reminder" to all parents of the importance of being more engaged with their children.

He said it was deeply troubling that young people were becoming so disaffected and alienated they could consider engaging in terrorist acts.

The boy was expected to appear in a Melbourne court on Monday morning. - APN Newsdesk

Topics:  afp arrest bombs editors picks teenager terror raids

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Kingaroy police investigating wallet theft

The intruder fired a shot at the resident, who suffered minor injuries.

Phone Crime Stoppers if you have any information

Store expands to new Nanango location

With weekly sewing classes Alisellou Designs is set to be a community hub for crafty locals.

One stop sewing shop celebrates grand opening.

Flasher charged with drink driving

Woman will appear in court on April 9

Local Partners