Barry Du Bois' heartbreaking cancer revelation
IT WAS an emotional ending to last night's episode of The Living Room as host Barry Du Bois revealed his cancer had returned for a second time.
The 57-year-old designer and builder was diagnosed with plasmacytoma myeloma in 2011 and made the heartbreaking announcement Friday night that it had returned once again and more aggressively than his previous diagnosis.
"It seems that my cancer has come back, reasonably aggressively now I have what is regarded as multiple myeloma. We've got a cancer in my body that has created several tumours right through my body," he said.
"Now I see an upside to that, this is just another fight for me that I am quite comfortable I am going to win."
There wasn't a dry eye in the house as his co-hosts Amanda Keller, Chris Brown and Miguel Maestre comforted the 57-year-old father of two as he spoke about what was in store for him over the coming months.
"I've had two cycles of chemo now and all being well, touching wood, at the end of my third cycle what I'm going to do is a stem cell and bone marrow retrieval and prepare for a transplant," he said.
"At Christmas time when we are on holidays I am going to be in an isolation ward with the great people at St Vincent's Hospital under the care of some amazing people and I'm going to have a very strong dose of medicine."
Hello friends, I am sure my announcement on The Living Room tonight that my cancer has returned was a shock for many of you. After living six years in remission, it was a shock for my family and I too. The Living Room means more to me than most things on Earth, and it means an incredible amount to be loved by so many people. Thank you so much for all your love and support. It means the world to me. I am going into this battle with the love, support and encouragement of my friends and family, and all of you. I'm going to beat what I have got, and hopefully inspire others to do so too. Baz x
Barry was visibly emotional throughout the segment but remained optimistic that he was going to win his battle and thanked his co-hosts and viewers for their ongoing support.
"It's going to be a tough gig and what's given me strength ... is I know how much support I have from you guys and how much support we get as a show and as a TV family," he said.
"Everything I have ever done in my life I have backed myself 100 per cent. I am not only going to back myself I am going to go into this with the support of the most amazing people I know and friends and family that love me that I don't even know. I am going to hopefully not only beat what I've got but I am going to inspire some others to win their wars as well."
By the time Barry was first diagnosed with plasmacytoma myeloma six years ago, which attacks healthy bone marrow, the huge tumour at the base of his skull had "basically eaten the top of [his] spine".
He had surgery to put in a titanium spine to replace the damage that had been caused and has since relied on radiation therapy and different medications to hopefully stop the cancer from returning.
After the segment aired on Friday, hundreds of messages of support and well wishes came flooding in for the Channel Ten host.
"I am going to follow you Barry to support you through your journey, looking forward to the news you are 'cancer free' again," one Twitter user wrote.
Another added: "Kick cancer's butt Barry, Australia is behind you."
Barry was extremely thankful for all the support he was receiving, telling viewers that his co-host and professional chef Miguel Maestre had been helping out by providing healthy recipes for his family.
"I am concentrating on winning this battle. It is as easy as it can be because of the support I get from you guys," he said.