Bree overcomes hurdles
BREE Pogany ran the 200m hurdles at the Queensland Junior Championships in a blistering time, not only blitzing her tartan PB but sending her packing for Perth.
The hurdler ran the 200m hurdles in a hot time of 32.78sec to finish second and qualify for the Australian Junior Championships in Western Australia.
Bree's mother, Kellie Pogany, said she was shocked to see her run such a fast time after training in hurdles for such a short time.
"The biggest shock was Bree going to Queensland Junior Championships purely to try and just get times to just qualify to represent Wide Bay for 200m hurdles but came away with a silver medal," Ms Pogany said.
Bree was a middle distance runner but in 2014 she was found to have a ferritin medical issue, so was not able to retain iron which affected her running.
Pogany said Bree was then pulled back to do sprint training by her coach Stephen O'Connor.
For the past four months Bree has trained in hurdles, doing her own drills.
Bree's silver medal at the Queensland Junior Championships helped her qualify for the Queensland Heat Team to compete in Perth at the start of March.
As Bree's first time in Perth she said she would give her all.
"(I look forward) to the experience of competing at a national level," Bree said.
"I will just go as hard as I can."
Bree was one of three South Burnett athletes who nominated for the Queensland Junior Championships, along with Kirsten O'Connor and Jericho Pogany.
The trio entered the state titles off the back of the regional Little Athletics titles in Caloundra.
South Burnett Little Athletics Regional Results
- Taylah Curley shot put 3kg (8.21m); discus 1kg (27.82m); 100m sprint 14.49sec.
- Joshua Freeman high jump (1.15m); 60m hurdles (11.6sec).
- Sophie Grundy 1500m walk (11min 22.57sec).
- Abbey Kapernick triple jump (8.27m); high jump (1.35m); long jump (4.11m); 60m hurdles (11sec).
- Amy-Louise Kempson 800m (3min 19.12sec); 200m hurdles 76cm (38.53sec).
- Zoe Lumsdale 700m walk (4min 54.22 sec).
- Kirsten O'Connor 1500m walk (9min 28.82sec); 1500m (5min 37.95sec); 800m (2min 45.06sec).
- Paige O'Connor 1500m (6min 01.44sec); 800m (2min 58.28sec).
- Bree Pogany 80m hurdles (14.61sec); long jump (4.29m); 400m (1min 05.36sec); triple jump (8.77m); 200m hurdles (31.49sec).
- Jericho Pogany long jump (3.82m); triple jump (7.94m); 1500m (5min 38.6sec); 400m (1min 11.43 sec); 800m (2min 44.98sec).
- Macey Roberts 1500m (5min 34.53sec); 800m (2min 40.72sec).
- Meg Roberts 1500m (5min 20.34sec); 800m (2min 41.28sec).
- Lillyanna Thompson 60m hurdles (13.43sec).
- James Wyatt 400m (1min 13.97sec).
- Adrian Webster 200m (25.72sec); javelin (37.3m); 1500m (5min 14.2sec); 800m (2min 17.98sec).
- Harrison Weil long jump (3.97m); high jump (1.2m); 100m (15.2sec); javelin (23.7m).