UPDATE 1PM: Residents in suburbs north of Townsville are being warned to prepare to leave their properties.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services is advising that people need Yabulu need to be ready to follow their bushfire survival plan as conditions could get worse quickly.
As at 1pm, a large fire is burning off Bowden Road, travelling in a north westerly direction towards Clydesdale Place.
The fire is likely to impact Clydesdale Place.
Fire crews are working to contain the fire but firefighters may not be able to protect every property.
People in the area will be affected by smoke, which will reduce visibility and air quality.
If you decide leaving is your safest option, it's best to head towards the Bruce Highway.
Call Triple Zero (000) immediately if you believe your property is under threat.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
• Listen to your local radio station or visit the Rural Fire Service (RFS) website for regular updates.
• If you have a bushfire survival plan, refer to it now and be ready to follow it.
• If you do not have a bushfire survival plan, or if your plan is to leave, identify where you will go if the situation changes.
• Close windows and doors to minimise smoke exposure.
• If you suffer from a respiratory condition, keep your medication close by.
• Drive with caution in low visibility conditions.
• Contact your neighbours to see if they need help preparing for the bushfire.
• Consider finding your essential items (e.g., identification documents, prescription medication, food and water, and protective clothing such as a long-sleeved cotton shirt and trousers, and boots) in case you need to leave.
• Consider what you will do to protect your pets and livestock.
• Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
• Advise family and friends of your intended actions if the situation changes.
KEEP UP TO DATE BY:
• Staying tuned to your local radio station. Find your local ABC radio station at https://radio.abc.net.au/help/offline and your local commercial radio station at http://www.commercialradio.com.au/find-a-station/queensland;
• Visiting the Rural Fire Service (RFS) website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map
• For bushfire preparation tips, visit the RFS website: www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/BushFire_Safety
• For information about road closures, call 13 19 40 or visit www.qldtraffic.qld.gov.au
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.