South Burnett declared Category C disaster area
LATE yesterday the region received the news it had been waiting for.
The South Burnett has been declared a Category C disaster zone.
South Burnett Regional Council Mayor Wayne Kratzmann said he got the call at 7.10pm on Monday from Local Government and Flood Recovery Minister David Crisafulli.
"Farmers and rural landholders will now be able to apply for the $25,000 grants," he said.
"This is the big one for us and it's great news, particularly for farmers.
"We received the other categories pretty much right away so we were just waiting on this confirmation."
Cr Kratzmann said the council would work alongside the Gympie Regional Council to coordinate BlazeAid and begin much needed repairs to properties.
"Farmers and rural landholders can go to the website and find out more information on how to apply for funding," he said.
"Those affected will be able to apply for low interest rate loans as well as a number of other benefits."
If you want to know if you are eligible head to statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2013/2/12/more-shires-receive-flood-support.