TWO children drove 35 kilometres for help in remote New South Wales after their father inhaled gas while working in a well and their mother fell in trying to help him.
Police said the 29-year-old man was installing a water pump at the bottom of the well near Weilmoringle - about 225 kilometres north west of Lightning Ridge in north-western NSW - when he was overwhelmed by fumes, about 5:30pm on Saturday.
He died at the scene.
The man's 28-year-old partner started climbing down the well to help, but fell about 30 metres after the rope ladder broke.
Police said the couple's two children, aged 12 and 13, drove 35 kilometres to a nearby road, where they flagged down a passing driver, who phoned emergency services.
Read more at ABC News Online
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.