Warwick woman thought she'd die when strangled by husband

CONVICTED: A Warwick man pleaded guilty to two domestic violence charges at Warwick District Court yesterday.
CONVICTED: A Warwick man pleaded guilty to two domestic violence charges at Warwick District Court yesterday. Pexels

A WARWICK woman said she felt like she was going to pass out and die when her husband wrapped his hand around her neck and choked her.

An argument over a light being left on was the precursor to the serious attack, which left the woman with cuts to her top lip and nose as well as red marks on her neck.

The assault ended when Nathan John Beer hit his head on a kitchen cupboard.

He was charged in March with assault occasioning bodily harm and strangulation.

At Warwick District Court yesterday, Crown Prosecutor Michael Gawrych said the argument escalated when the 30-year-old woman took Beer's phone and he grabbed her from behind, wrapping his leg around her so she fell to the ground.

Mr Gawrych said Beer grabbed her face and pushed it into the ground before scratching at her face and eyes.

She fought back by biting his hand and arm, but he grabbed her throat and squeezed, which Mr Gawrych said she later described as a moment where she thought she was going to die.

"It's a very fine line between assault and death, especially when loss of breath is involved," Mr Gawrych said.

The 38-year-old man pleaded guilty to both charges.

Barrister David Jones said there were no other reports of violence in the marriageand the couple was separated at the time of the assault.

A letter was handed to Judge Craig Chowdhury, which stated the woman did not want Beer to face court over the attack.

"On the complainant's instructions to her solicitor, this was a once-off," Mr Jones said.

The court heard the couple hoped to maintain a civil relationship for the sake of their children.

Mr Jones said Beer also had a good work history.

During sentencing, Judge Chowdhury drew attention to the Australian parliament's desire to address such violence through new strangulation laws, which were passed last year.

"You'd have to be living under a rock if you don't understand the community concern around domestic violence," he said.

"You really should have been able to control yourself better."

Beer was sentenced 18 months' jail, but was placed on immediate parole.

Topics:  assault occasioning bodily harm domestic violence strangulation warwick crime warwick district court

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Dingo duffer strikes in Wondai

South Burnett councilor Ros Heit said she expects the culprit who stole one of Wondai's dingo satues will be overcome with guilt and return it to its rightful home.

"I can't believe the cheek of them.”

Splash of colour for Murgon wall

FAMOUS FACE: Murgon mural by artists Kane Brunjes and Bronte Naylor.

Artistic projects for regional kids.

Local Partners