‘Coughing, crying’: Court hears of moments before baby died
A VISITING relative of a toddler who tragically died after allegedly ingesting ice has described finding a glass pipe and needles in his mum and partner's bedroom.
Makavelii Leoni was just 13 months old when he was pronounced dead in Cairns Hospital in September 2018 after being found unresponsive in the bath of White Rock home.
His mother Lina Daley, 22, has been charged with manslaughter and torture with police alleging he suffered "prolonged" and "systemic exposure" to the drug through her breast milk, although it was unclear how he ingested the final fatal dose.
'Maka' was found with 43 injuries to his body, but medical evidence has ruled the lethal dose of methylamphetamine - enough to kill an adult - was his cause of death.
The committal hearing for Ms Daley began in the Cairns Magistrates Court on Monday with Phillip Yeatman, the cousin of Ms Daley's partner Michael Yeatman, telling the court he went into the room the couple were staying in and saw the needles and pipe in a cupboard.
"It looks like a pipe people use to smoke stuff out of," he said.
Another relative Brian Connolly, who was also staying at the Sunrise Cl house that weekend, told of seeing bruises on Makavelii's head the night before his death.
Mr Connolly said another relative took him from the couple's room after hearing him crying and he saw bruises on his face and the back of his head.
"(I saw) two marble shape bruises on each cheek and a bruise on the back of his head."
A third relative Patrick Yeatman told the court he helped retrieve 'Maka' from the couple's room where loud music was emanating, after hearing him coughing.
"We went and knocked on Michael's door and asked for him because we could hear him coughing," he said.
"I think (he was) coughing from smoke."
He said a younger relative nursed Makavelii to sleep for about 40 minutes before returning him to the couple's bedroom.
Originally published as 'Coughing, crying': Court hears of moments before baby Maka died