Cruel twist of fate as family loses home in devastating fire

CHARRED: The garage was gutted by Saturday night’s fire.
CHARRED: The garage was gutted by Saturday night’s fire. Samantha Oneil

THEY say lightning doesn't struck twice but for one Warwick family it has, with a devastating house fire following the tragic loss of their six-year-old daughter in January this year.

The family escaped unharmed but the home is unliveable because of major damage.

Ray White Rural Warwick principal Peter Lane confirmed the agency was negotiating alternative accommodation for the tenants.

A spokeswoman from Queensland Fire and Emergency Services said the investigation had determined the fire was accidental.

"The fire was caused by a radio-controlled car battery that was charging in the garage," she said.

The extreme heat and water has damaged some of the tenants' property, with water also entering the two neighbouring homes.

A concerned resident said the family may be in need of assistance, with shopping vouchers being the most convenient to be used for the replacement of food, kitchen items and some clothes. "If everyone dropped in even a couple of dollars I'm sure it would help," the woman said.

Principal Peter Lane said they were happy to accept donations for the family.

"They are great people who have been going through the very expensive process of applying for permanent residency in Australia," property manager Andrew Dunn said.

Mr Dunn said the family's church had also been of great assistance to them.

Topics:  family housefire warwick

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Council reveals plans to improve Kingaroy CBD

HERE'S THE PLAN: Draft concept for the Kingaroy Revitalisation Project.

Will this improve the Kingaroy CBD?

Council selling land to ease budget

The council is selling off this block of land on the corner of Mundubbera-Durong Rd and Chinchilla-Wondai Rd.

Block up for sale was previously a tick clearly dip stockyard

More than $80,000 in community funding

Dean Perrett playing at the Murgon Music Muster.

Blackbutt Avocado Festival the big winner

Local Partners