Does pressing the pedestrian crossing button do anything?
YOU are waiting at the pedestrian crossing at a set of lights, do you press the button once and wait patiently or do you hit it numerous times waiting for it to change?
It actually might not matter whether you press it once patiently or 20 times furiously.
According to Queensland Transport and Main Roads the pedestrian crossing button runs on an automatic timer most of the time.
Outside of peak traffic hours the pedestrian crossing button needs to be pressed to activate the pedestrian crossing and allow pedestrians to cross.
So press it just in case, but it might not make much difference.
IN OTHER STATES AND TERRITORIES:
- NSW - Same as Queensland. Automatic in peak times.
- NT - Press the button, it sends a signal to make pedestrians a priority.
- WA - Not on an automatic timer, you need to push it. Push it real good.
- VIC - Same as NT, you need to press the button, just once is fine.
- SA - You need to to push the button to activate the lights.
- TASMANIA - Push the button, it will reduce the time you wait.
- ACT - Press the button, you will be made priority depending which crossing you are waiting at.
Do you hit the pedestrian crossing button multiple times thinking it'll hurry it up?
This poll ended on 02 September 2014.
Yes, of course, who doesn't?
No, I think once is enough
It depends if I am in a hurry or not
I very rarely use them
This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.