US President Donald Trump says subject to receipt of further information, he plans to allow the opening of long-secret files on the November 1963 assassination of President John F Kennedy.
Politico magazine earlier quoted Trump administration and other US government officials as saying the president would almost certainly block the release of information from some of the thousands of classified files, which the US National Archives is due to make public by an October 26 deadline.
"Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened," Mr Trump said in a tweet.
Kennedy, the 35th president of the USA, was killed in Dallas on November 22, 1963.
Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 21, 2017
The alleged lone assassin Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested for the crime but killed by Jack Ruby two days later.
Horrific footage, perhaps the most famous amateur film ever captured, showed the moment Kennedy was shot dead in front of cheering crowds, sat next to his wife Jackie.
The murder sparked a number of conspiracy theories, with many believing more than one person fired at the president and there had been a cover up.
Oswald was said to have shot from the sixth floor of a book depository behind the president's motorcade.
But many doubters claim the fatal bullet which struck Kennedy in the head appeared to have been fired from a position in front of the vehicle.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.