Toowoomba mum inspires with bold bikini body-love
A PHOTO gone viral proves you shouldn't cross a middle-aged woman in a bikini.
With almost identical names and equal parts confidence, two Queensland mothers are inspiring women of all ages with their bold shows of body-love.
Meet Janet Cross, 49, Toowoomba's answer to Julie Cross - the Brisbane motivational speaker who made national headlines when a Facebook post of herself in a bikini was liked by more than 120,000 people in a day.
Julie posted the picture after she walked past a group of young people in her bikini and heard the comment "I think she is over the bikini!".
The 46-year-old who describes herself as 'having child bearing hips and stretch marks on my tummy' then made the courageous decision to show she would not be intimidated by snipes.
"I faltered for a moment and then went on," she wrote on her Facebook post in which she shared the picture.
"So this is me walking my talk."
The photo received an unprecedented show of online support and led Toowoomba mother Janet to also pose for a photo in her bikini, to inspire older women to be confident with their bodies.
The two women are showing age is just a number and how you feel about your body, not what others say, is what's important.
"I still wear a bikini and asked my daughter if this was the last year for me and she said no mum you'll be rocking it until you're in your 50s," Janet said.
"I just need to feel fit and healthy and look after my kids and be a good role model."
In her work running the Safe Exercise for Women program, Mrs Cross encounters women unhappy with their bodies on a daily basis.
TOP STORIES ONLINE TODAY
- Toowoomba mum inspires with bold bikini body-love
- War injuries no barrier for city's last Rat of Tobruk
- Council considers u-turn on CBD parking limit
- Drivers to pay extra $50 for fuel in 2018
- Unidentified Russian satellite prompts space weapon worries
- Man denies using piggery shed as drug lab
- Sonny Bill William's proudest moment: he's a dad
"They all have their own insecurities and most of them would say I need to get ride of this bit and this bit but I try and help them think your health has to come first."
"Age is a number. I don't feel older than 25 and I've never felt fitter.
"If you feel confident enough to wear a bikini why can't you - who says you can't.
"If you don't want to look at her, don't look at her."
Is there to much focus today on how women look?
This poll ended on 22 November 2014.
This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.
- Tina Skelton: I'm more comfortable in my skin now at my age than I was when my skin when was younger the old saying goes I wish I new now then what I know now.
- Sue Kearns: Thank you Julie Cross . I am 52 and still love my bikini. I am so glad I am not the only one who still wears it.
- Janey Dyson: Me too, 55 and still wear a bikini.
- Alex Law: Is it inappropriate under the circumstances for a bloke to comment that she looks hot?
- Wendy Pfeffer: Happiness should not be measured by your waistline.
- Teresa Saunders: Good on her! I've had 4 kids and don't have the most attractive stomach but I still wear a bikini. Stuff those who look in disgust.
- Cookie: Good one Julie. As a married man I agree with what you have done. We all get older but why should we hide ourselves from the world.
- Cathy Harris-Brennan: I think she looks great. A real woman good on her.