Emergency crews respond to fire at Kingaroy Shoppingworld. Photo Rhiannon Tuffield / South Burnett Times
Emergency crews respond to fire at Kingaroy Shoppingworld. Photo Rhiannon Tuffield / South Burnett Times Rhiannon Tuffield

Toilet roll causes fire at Kingaroy Shoppingworld

UPDATE: Sunday 12:24pm: Kingaroy Fire and Emergency Services Station officer Bruce Groer said the cause of the fire at Kingaroy Shoppingworld was a toilet roll that had been deliberately lit by an unknown person.

"The toilet block area was heavily smoke logged with toxic smoke," he said.

The area was safe by 4.30pm but the Shoppingworld was closed for the remainder of the day.

EARLIER: Staff and shoppers were evacuated from Kingaroy Shoppingworld after a fire broke out in the men's toilets shortly before 4pm.

Police, three lots of fire crew and paramedics rushed to the scene to put the fire out.

Kingaroy Shoppingworld Cleaning Supervisor Allen Reynolds said fire crew were at each entrance.

"The police said it would take a bit of time to clean up - there was a lot of thick, black smoke.

There has been extensive damage to the toilets, but police said no one had been harmed.

South Burnett

Fire season is only just beginning

Fire season is only just beginning

The crews have a long job ahead.

The story behind Kingaroy's first ever BaconFest

The story behind Kingaroy's first ever BaconFest

From a rasher of an idea to our next pig thing.

LETTER: Bunnings will be bad for our town

LETTER: Bunnings will be bad for our town

Concerned resident speaks out about big retailers.

Local Partners