Another blaze hits New York flats

Bronx fire
Bronx fire

AT least twelve people were reported injured in a major fire that was burning in a four story building in the Bronx overnight, the second major blaze in the area in a week.

The flames broke out after 5am (9pm AEDT) in the Van Nest area of the Bronx in a building that houses a furniture store on the first floor and apartments on the upper floors.

Dozens of fire trucks were at the scene as thick smoke poured out of the building and flames were through the roof. Firefighters had been on the roof but they were evacuated.


Emergency services also had to contend with New York's brutally cold weather as they fought the flames. Temperatures were around -10C.

All of the residents of the building were believed to have been evacuated. There was no information about the conditions of the victims, although one person was reported to be in a critical condition.

The latest blaze came less than a week after another fire in the Bronx killed 12 people.

That blaze started after a three-year-old boy was playing with a stove.


New York mayor Bill de Blasio described the incident as "the worst fire tragedy we have seen in this city in a quarter century".

"It will rank as one of the worst losses in a fire in many years.

A huge fire engulfed a Bronx apartment building overnight. Picture: Twitter
A huge fire engulfed a Bronx apartment building overnight. Picture: Twitter

"Based on the info now, I'm sorry to report 12 New Yorkers are dead, including one child. Four people are critically injured, fighting for their lives, and there are other serious injuries as well."

Topics:  fire new york city

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Take care when using recreational weapons

Kingaroy Senior Sergeant David Tierney urges the community to use recreational weapons responsibly.

Police urged people to take care when recreationally using weapons

Creative cookery rises from the ashes

SAUCE OF PRIDE: Richard Mason and Phil Barrie built a smoker from an entry teller that was damaged during a break in at Mr Mason's carwash.

This business turned it's misfortune around

Local Partners