THROUGH THE HANDS: Wide Bay Stingray's Steven Langton firing a ball from dummy half. (Picture: Tristan Evert)
THROUGH THE HANDS: Wide Bay Stingray's Steven Langton firing a ball from dummy half. (Picture: Tristan Evert)

GALLERY: 100+ photos from the Frank Fisher Cup

NAMED after legendary Cherbourg athlete Frank Fisher, the Frank Fisher Cup came to a close in Cherbourg on Sunday with the Central Qld Barramundis taking on the South West Emus in the plate final and the Wide Bay Stingrays playing the Sunshine Coast Bunyas in the cup final.



Wide Bay Stingrays vs Sunshine Coast Bunyas

It was the Wide Bay Stringrays and the Sunshine Coast Bunyas who played off in the cup final of the Frank Fisher Cup in Cherbourg on Sunday.

The game was played at a high intensity from the get go with both teams coming out firing.

The Stingrays were the first in attacking territory, however the Bunyas defended well, forcing a knock on.

Neither team could control the ball with several knock ons in the early stages.

The Bunyas centre Errol Simpson was the first to do damage when he broke down the short side palming off the Stingrays fullback and crossing for the first try of the match.

The Bunyas left hand attack continued to look threatening with Riley Drayton breaking through the line before an offload was intercepted.

The Stingrays gave away a penalty putting the Bunyas in good field position and a set piece sailed right to the winger, Jai Turnbull, who dived in the corner.

With the score sitting at 10-0 the Stingrays set up a play off a scrum with the fullback Baroo Fisher running a decoy.

The lock Joshua Tanner took the ball the other way and passed to Vincent Law who offloaded to Steven Langton who crossed in the corner.

The Stingrays had found some momentum and, off the back of a strong run by Josiah Alberts, were in good field position.

A cross field kick deflected off the Bunyas centre and was scooped up by Alberts who crossed in the corner.

With a few minutes remaining, the Stingrays lock threw a perfect offload to Nicholas Tanner who crossed next to the uprights.

The half time score was 14-10 to the Wide Bay Stingrays.

The early stages of the second half was back and forth footy with both sides completing sets and making good ground.

The Stingrays blew a try opportunity with the second rower Nicholas Tanner dropping the ball over the try line.

In response the Bunyas had a chance of their own with the five-eighth George Fisher putting a teammate through a hole, but the pass was called forward and brought back.

As the clock wound down tension was building with the Stingrays halfback taken off for a head injury assessment.

The Stingrays were awarded a penalty 40m out and, despite some strong defence from the Bunyas, the Stingrays fullback Baroo Fisher took a scoot down the short side, threw a dummy and charged his way over for another try.

The kick was converted taking the full time score to 18-10 to the Stingrays.

Central QLD Barramundis vs South West Emus

The Emus were faced with an enormous challenge, taking the field with 12 men.

An early knock on from the Emus gave the Barramundis a scrum feed 20m out and they wasted no time finding the try line.

With the Emus a man down in defence, the Barramundis put winger Kyle Solomon over in the corner.

Several knock ons caused play to slow over the next 10 minutes before a knock on resulted in the Emus packing a scrum 20m out from the Barramundis try line.

The Barramundis defended well before a cross field kick bounced off the Barramundi winger, putting Tyson Cheeks over for a four pointer.

With the scores level at six a piece, the Emus were on the attack with a minute left on the clock.

Thanks to some lightning footwork from the halfback, Braydon Law bounced off a tackle and darted through a gap to score on the half time siren.

The kick was converted and the half time score was 12-6 in favour of the Emus.

The Barramundis were on the attack early in the second half, off the back of an Emus knock on.

As a result of some slow defence the Barramundi prop William Munns charged over under the posts and, with the kick converted, the scores were level.

A short kick off gone wrong resulted in a penalty for the Barramundis who attacked the line with a set play.

The halfback Emilio Munns threw a cutout ball to Gabriel Hamson in the centres who beat two defenders to cross for his first.

Some solid defence from the Emus forced the ball loose in the opposition 20, however both teams were unable to control the ball with several knock ons.

The Barramundis found themselves back in enemy territory and threw the ball along the backline finding Dan Randall who crossed for another try.

In the dying seconds the Barramundis centre Gabriel Hamson stood up his opposite defenders, running along the sideline and crossing for his second.

The full time siren sounded with the CQ Barramundis taking the win 26-12.


South Burnett

COURT: Wheelchair-bound man set up meth lab for personal use

Premium Content COURT: Wheelchair-bound man set up meth lab for personal use

AFTER a motorcycle accident left a man nearly quadriplegic, he turned to producing...