THE State Government is warning Queenslanders to get rid of "lunchbox" gas cookers after explosions put four people in hospital last week. 

Natural Resources and Mines Minister Anthony Lynham issued a warning about the inexpensive, popular cookers following two explosions in Far North Queensland.

A family was sent to hospital and a childcare worker escaped serious injury in two separate incidents. 

"Anyone who bought one of these butane gas lunchbox cookers manufactured before July 2015 should stop using it and dispose of it," Dr Lynham said.

"They are potentially lethal.

"Many models of these were recalled last year. I am now expanding that warning to any cooker manufactured before July 2015, when manufacturing standards changed.

"Check the compliance plate on the sides or underneath the cooker, and put your safety, and the safety of your family and friends first.

"Dispose of it, spend the $20-25 for a new one, and be safe rather than sorry."

Tens of thousands of these dangerous one-pot gas cookers were sold across Queensland under more than 60 names including U-Bute Traveller, Wild Country Handy Range Portable Camping Stove, Campmaster, Topstove and Bai Hui Portable Camping Stove.
Tens of thousands of these dangerous one-pot gas cookers were sold across Queensland under more than 60 names including U-Bute Traveller, Wild Country Handy Range Portable Camping Stove, Campmaster, Topstove and Bai Hui Portable Camping Stove. Contributed

The cookers use a butane gas canister that should eject when the gas canisters overheat.

Many models were recalled nationally in mid-2015 because the safety mechanism didn't work.

Dr Lynham said about 1,000,000 of the cookers were believed to be in circulation Australia-wide.

The latest warning is being circulated among caravan, camping and boating groups, and retailers, and a briefing will be held for members of parliament during next week's Parliamentary sittings.

Dr Lynham said the potential hazard was amplified because the cookers were so common.

"They are compact and inexpensive and they sit are in caravans, boats, garages and sheds across Queensland," he said.

Dr Lynham said Queenslanders should always be very careful using butane cookers and other portable gas appliances.

They should always be used outdoors, never in confined spaces such as tents, caravans, boats or cars where explosive gas and lethal carbon monoxide levels can build up.


Playing the cards right for inclusive park

Playing the cards right for inclusive park

The park would be a place where all children can mix.

Gardeners on a mission to create a greener future

Gardeners on a mission to create a greener future

Gardeners works with schools and public places to create shade.

UPDATE: Woolooga-Sexton blaze contained, embers still burn

UPDATE: Woolooga-Sexton blaze contained, embers still burn

Firefighters continue to monitor the fire and its remnants.

Local Partners