George Pell regrets legal battle with sexual abuse survivor

CARDINAL George Pell has told the royal commission he regrets calling on child abuse victim John Ellis to prove what had happened to him in court, despite already believing him.

Giving evidence today, about the Sydney Archdiocese' 2004 legal battle with the lawyer, Cardinal Pell rejected the suggestion the church had technically denied the abuse had taken place and insisted it was his legal team that had advised him to "dispute" the facts of the case.

He said it was "wrong that it went to such an extent" and regretted that it had.

Cardinal Pell had been on the stand since Monday.

He was expected to fly to Rome to take up his new position as financial adviser to the Vatican once the hearing was over.


Queensland border to open to Victoria from December 1

Premium Content Queensland border to open to Victoria from December 1

Qld borders reopening sees state set for $600m windfall

How to get your hands on rare memorabilia

Premium Content How to get your hands on rare memorabilia

SOUTH Burnett residents will soon have the opportunity to get their hands on rare...

Kingaroy District Court: appearance list for today

Premium Content Kingaroy District Court: appearance list for today

Here is a list of District Court criminal sittings at Kingaroy on November 25