Have the best time in this city without spending a dime
WHY spend money to have a good time, when you can spend it on what really matters - like food, ammirite!?
Lucky for you the people of Brisbane agree and there is a stack of fun, free things to do all year round.
Here are five of them to whet your palette so you can leave all your pennies to satisfying exactly that…
1. Free comedy: Head to the Powerhouse on a Friday night to soak up some, as the organisers like to call it, "cheap jokes and free laughs". Knockoff is on every week from 6pm and sees local and national acts take the stage for an hour of hilarious stories, inappropriate jokes and side-splitting one-liners. Knockoff is recommended for adults only and goes for one hour.
2. Free gigs: Queen Street Mall and South Bank are the places to be to catch pop-up gigs as part of the City Sounds program. Each week there is a rolling line-up of local and travelling artists who will bust a tune or 10 right in the centre of town.
3. Free chills: Streets Beach at South Bank is basically like having Burleigh Beach right in the heart of the city, without the waves, stingers and fish with big teeth. This man-made lagoon is a hit for the adults as much as it is for the kids so grab a towel, lay by the water and enjoy a dip in the cool blue water. Plus, there is heaps for the kids with the Boat Pool and Aquativity water park.
4. Free culture: The Gallery of Modern Art is no regular art gallery. The exhibitions that come through its doors are interactive, quirky and always great for an Insta snap. Some exhibitions are ticketed, but there's always something to look at that's totally free.
5. Free tours: When visiting a different city, there is no substitute for having a local show you around some of the best spots. Lucky for you, the Brisbane Greeters are on standby waiting to introduce you to the River City. Take a tour of the bridges, art scene, aboriginal history, create a list of your own top 'must-see' spots, or let the Greeter choose for you. This program is operated by volunteers who love living in Brisbane, so let them show you around.
That's just a sneak peek of what is available to see and do in this thriving city. For a comprehensive list of 44 free things to do in Brisbane, head HERE.