How community stopped 'reckless driver' in his tracks

A SERVICE station worker and taxi driver have foiled a teenager's alleged crime spree police said put the community at risk.

An extraordinary public response to a police appeal for information and support helped bring the Nanango man's run of reckless and dangerous driving to an end last week.

Police will allege the man, 19, was behind several evade offences after a spree which started on May 8.

Senior Sergeant Dave Tierney said on that day police attempted to intercept a Holden Commodore on the Bunya Highway when it sped away from officers, reaching speeds of 150km/h.

Police called off the intercept attempt "due to the risk to the public" and tracked the vehicle from CCTV footage at a service station where the man bought fuel about 12.25am that day.

At 7.55pm on May 8, police in Nanango saw the same vehicle and attempted to intercept it, but were forced to back off when the car sped away.

The car was spotted driving between Nanango and Kingaroy about 9.05pm on May 11 after a tip-off from the public.

Officers attempted to intercept the Commodore which police will allege sped away and overtook other cars in a dangerous manner.

Snr Sgt Tierney said a description of the car was circulated to businesses in both Kingaroy and Nanango that night which ultimately helped police locate the car and driver.

"At 12.30am on May 12, Kingaroy police were advised by a local service station that the vehicle had attended there," he said.

"The quick-thinking console operator shut off the pumps, preventing the alleged offender from refuelling his vehicle.

"At 2.20am, Kingaroy police were notified by a local taxi driver that the vehicle of interest was heading out of Kingaroy on the D'Aguilar Highway.

"Police located the vehicle and will allege that the driver has rapidly accelerated away to avoid interception, forcing police to again discontinue the attempted intercept."

Police will allege the man was found hiding at a home on Wilson Dr in Nanango where he was arrested and charged after a 20-minute search.

He was charged with two counts of failing to stop (evade), three counts of disqualified driving, and wilful damage to police property.

Police today applied for his vehicle to be forfeited when he appeared in the Kingaroy Magistrates Court.

"Police in both Kingaroy and Nanango wish to thank those members of the public who provided assistance in removing this allegedly reckless driver from the local roads before someone was seriously hurt," Snr Sgt Tierney said.

Investigations are continuing into other related offences, Snr Sgt Tierney said.


Man charged over nine Kingaroy fires

Man charged over nine Kingaroy fires

A 26 year-old Kingaroy man has been charged by police.

STAY SAFE: Five bushfires burning in Burnett

STAY SAFE: Five bushfires burning in Burnett

Crews are attending to four bushfires.

Crews respond to bushfire near Wooroolin

Crews respond to bushfire near Wooroolin

Crews are currently on scene at a grass fire at Charlestown.

Local Partners