'I smelt smoke and saw it coming': relief after Teelah blaze
A TEELAH man was breathing a sigh of relief on Saturday afternoon after finding out the house he was looking after had not been impacted by the recent Teelah bushfires.
Shane Joughin is currently looking after his mate's cattle property off Old Esk Rd in Teelah.
"I smelt the smoke and saw it was coming from that direction so I jumped in the ute and came straight down," Mr Joughin said.
The fire, believed to have been started by a spark from a grinder, escalated to the point where close to 20 fire crews were required to contain the blaze.
At the height of the blaze, residents were instructed to leave their properties.
The property Mr Houghin is looking after is home to more than 40 head of cattle and he was extremely concerned for their safety.
"There is a lot of long grass around the property and I have seen these sorts of fires jump over roads before so I was concerned," he said.
Mr Joughin was beyond relief when Taromeo first officer Les Lane gave him the good news the fire had not reached his friend's cattle property.
He was extremely grateful for the hard work of the region's fireys.
"These volunteer firefighters do such an amazing job. We are so lucky to have them," Mr Joughin said.