IN COURT: A Cherbourg man faced the Kingaroy District Court.
IN COURT: A Cherbourg man faced the Kingaroy District Court. Thinkstock

Ice fuels Cherbourg man's domestic violence abuse

A 21-year-old Cherbourg man will spend another six months behind bars for assaulting his 19-year-old girlfriend and breaching his domestic violence order on multiple occasions.

Crown prosecutor Alex Stark told the Kingaroy District Court the man threw a torch at his partner of two years on December 30, 2018 after an argument broke out between the couple when they ran out of cigerattes.

The next day, the man unlawfully entered the woman's friend's house in Cherbourg and struck his partner on the chest and neck with his fists, causing her to fall to the ground.

Mr Stark said the woman was frightened and then the man pressed a metal pole into her stomach after questioning her about being out all night and accusing her of having relationships with other men.

The next day, January 2, 2019, the woman attended Cherbourg Hospital with a deep 20cm laceration to her arm exposing her bone and muscle, which doctor's believed was consistent with being caused by a sharp object.

Mr Stark said the man admitted to causing the injury to her arm and told police he cried, wrapped his shirt around her arm and ran into the bush.

The man pleaded guilty to three counts of breaching a domestic violence order made on October 31, 2018, two counts of assault occasioning bodily harmed while armed, burglary, grievous bodily harm, possession of a utensil used in connection with dangerous drugs and failing to dispose a syringe used in connection with drugs.

Defence lawyer Rob Glenday said the man had been using ice very heavily at the time of offending and lashed out.

Mr Glenday said the defendant had been "disadvantaged all his life” having been exposed to alcoholic abuse and violence growing up and often physically abused at a young age.

According to Mr Glenday the man, who can't read or write and has never been employed, provided limited instructions.

Judge Cash acknowledged the man had a "significant criminal history” at his age and the onus was on him to create a different future for himself.

"There is no point in me giving you a lecture because you know yourself that if you get out of jail and go back to using ice you are going to commit more offences and find yourself back in jail,” he said.

"You will remain in jail for a little while yet and hopefully that will be long enough for you to break the cycle of using drugs and put you on track to doing something constructive when you get up and the choice will ultimately rest with you.

"You can either live a useful life and do something constructive or you can abuse drugs and find yourself going back to jail.”

The man was sentenced to four years imprisonment for all offences, eligible for parole on February 6, 2020 taking into account 197 days of pre-sentence custody from February 7 to August 22.

South Burnett

EXCLUSIVE: Get your digital guide to the Carnival of Flowers

EXCLUSIVE: Get your digital guide to the Carnival of Flowers

How you can access an exclusive guide to this year's competition

Why this year's Spring Garden Expo will be better than ever

premium_icon Why this year's Spring Garden Expo will be better than ever

Where will you be when the Wondai Garden Expo returns?

Today’s live stream schedule for QLD schools basketball

Today’s live stream schedule for QLD schools basketball

Don't miss our livestream of the finals starting today