It’s not just a spider bite
NAUSEA, headaches, itching and intense pain were some of the symptoms Maria Swindale experienced after being bitten by a redback spider two weeks ago.
Mrs Swindale wanted to warn others of the dangers of redback spiders so no one went through the pain she did.
Just after 9pm Mrs Swindle got a painful surprise when she put on her slippers and was bitten by a redback spider.
"It was an immediate jabbing pain into the top of the foot, really sharp pain intensified after that quite quickly," she said.
Mrs Swindle said her foot swelled up so much she couldn't see her ankle bone.
"It was red hot and burning," she said.
Mrs Swindle said she had only ever seen a redback spider in her house once and that was 10 years ago.
"We rang the health government number first to get some advice to go immediately to hospital," she said.
Mrs Swindale was on crutches for eight days after the bite and unable to drive.
"I was aware they are dangerous and do bite but I thought they are just a spider, they won't hurt you much," Mrs Swindale said.
"I was surprised by the severity and the intensity of the pain and I'm sure other people are too.
"If you would have told me how bad that pain was I would have thought you were making it up."
Mrs Swindale said her toes were paralysed by the venom for several days after the bite and she was on 16 pills a day to manage the pain.
She said she had not met anyone who had the same severe reaction as she did.
"Each person has their own story, the worst reaction you get is to go into anaphylactic shock, I'm thankful that didn't happen," Mrs Swindale said.
"Be vigilant and don't be complacent and think it's just a spider.
"It's mating season and females are out and about."