JAYANT Patel will never work as a doctor in Australia again.
A court on Friday permanently banned the disgraced former Bundaberg Hospital surgeon from holding Australian medical registration.
Earlier this week the Medical Board of Australia applied to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal to have him banned - claiming his negligence and fraud had brought the entire medical profession into disrepute.
The board said Patel fraudulently applied to practise medicine in Queensland when he stated he had never had his medical registration suspended or cancelled. He had in fact had action taken against his medical registration in the United States.
Judge Alexander Horneman-Wren said Patel's actions had undermined the medical registration system.
"In my view, these matters strike at the very heart of the system of registration by which it is intended that only those truly suitable and competent to do so are permitted to practise in health professions," he said.
"One could have little, if any, confidence that he would ever in the future possess the qualities of integrity, honesty and trustworthiness so essential for the practice of medicine."
Patel, who now lives in Oregon in the USA, did not appear in court or make any submissions in his favour.
The court heard the ruling could see Patel banned from practising internationally because an American medical board had suspended his registration pending Friday's decision.
Patel was given a two year suspended jail sentence for fraud in 2013. He had previously been jailed for three manslaughter convictions that the High Court later overturned.
At retrial he was found not guilty on the first count and the other charges were dropped.
- APN NEWSDESK
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.