Kingaroy Joinery named best business in the South Burnett
DARRIN and Amanda Kefford said a lot changed since Kingaroy Joinery started up in 1929, but one thing stayed constant.
"We're very passionate about the work we do," Amanda said.
The couple said their passion for work contributed to their success at the South Burnett Directions 2015 Business Excellence Awards on Wednesday night.
When Kingaroy Joinery took out Business of the Year, Darrin said it meant a great deal.
"I was born into the business and have seen it grow into what it is now," Darrin said.
"In the last 10 years since Amanda and I took it over especially."
He said the award acknowledged not only the good work the business did in 2015, but the hard work both his father and grandfather put in.
"It's been an evolving journey," he said.
Darrin said he felt proud to take the business to the next level for them.
"To keep the business continuing on that next level is important," he said.
"My grandfather will be ecstatic (about the award)."
Amanda said the award was icing on the cake, but it was the nomination process they gained the most from.
"The process of applying is like baring your soul," she said.
"It's a really good reflection of what your business has done."
She said the key to their success was "stepping back and looking at the business from an outsider's point of view".
"Ask your staff what you've done, other people can open your eyes to a lot of things that you don't see," she said.
Although the couple were overjoyed about the win, they said there was no time to stop and smell the roses.
"We still have so much we want to do," Darrin said.
"We have a lot more goals, this is just a stepping stone.
"Watch this space."
South Burnett Directions' Ken Mills said Kingaroy Joinery's win was "very deserved" but it was tough to judge.
"We've seen a real increase in the standard of nominations," Mr Mills said.
However he said there was still room for the award to improve.
"We want to get a lot more businesses involved," he said. "I think we've got to keep growing and evolving, every time we do it."
Mr Mills thanked all businesses involved and said "it was the first step towards improving their business".
South Burnett winners
- Micro Business Award: Mulanah Gardens
- Small Business Award: Proteco Oils
- Enterprise Award: Kingaroy Joinery
- Young Business Leader Award: James Giles Plumbing
- Emerging Business Award: Hansen Kitchens
- People Choice Customers Service Awards (professional, personnel and business services): Glendon Street Medical Centre
- People Choice Customers Service Awards (retail and hospitality): Charj Juice N Sushi
- People Choice Customers Service Awards (trades and auto): Bill Hull Car Centre
- Distinguished Business Service Award: Graham Archdall
- Blackbutt Benarkin Community Council Award: Bunya Nut Cafe Blackbutt
- Wondai Town Award: Hobbs & Associates
- Nanango Tourism Development Award: Orchys Fresh
- Kingaroy Chamber of Commerice & Industry Award: South Burnett CTC