NICK Kyrgios has joined a long list of tennis superstars in pulling the pin on the 2017 season.
The 22-year-old said he was ending his campaign prematurely to deal with his longstanding hip injury in an attempt to be fully fit for next year's Australian Open.
"Unfortunately due to the reoccurence of my hip injury which I originally suffered at Queen's, I am shutting down my season to make sure I can rehab and prepare as best as I possibly can for the Australian summer," Kyrgios said in a statement on Twitter.
"Unless I want this to escalate into an injury that requires surgery, I need to listen to my body and my team."
He added: "This year hasn't been as successful as I would have liked, especially at the slams.
"It's no secret that I have had some sad moments to deal with away from the court which have added to my disappointments throughout the year."
Former world No.1s Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic and Stan Wawrinka lead the list of those who have had to end their 2017 seasons because of injury.
Tomas Berdych also decided to take a break with a back injury.
Kyrgios will miss next week's Swiss Indoors in Basel and the Paris Masters, which starts on October 30.
His last match was on Wednesday when he lost in the second round in Antwerp to world NO. 98 Ruben Bemelmans of Belgium.
Last week, he was fined $10,000 after storming off midway through his first-round match at the Shanghai Masters.
That incident followed him being hit with a point penalty in losing the final in Beijing to Rafael Nadal.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.