Lack of contact with son fuels late-night street fight
A 19-YEAR-OLD man, who hasn't seen his one-year-old son in four months, stopped his car to confront his ex-girlfriend's new partner.
He was caught on CCTV pulling up next to the man, who was walking on Youngman St, Kingaroy, at 10.50pm on May 24.
He confronted the man and both parties started swinging at each other simultaneously.
The offender came off second best, and retreated to his car before driving off.
The man appeared in Kingaroy Magistrates Court this week, charged with contravening a domestic violence order.
Defence lawyer Chris Campbell said the confrontation stemmed from a parenting dispute.
"There has been banter, backwards and forwards, between him and the new man on the block and it is the reason he approached him,” Mr Campbell said.
"He hasn't seen his son - he turns two next month - since March, for no particular reason.
"He was asking him to step to the side and stay out of the parenting issues he has with the mother of his child and then it has escalated.”
Police prosecutor Pepe Gangemi said there was no reason for the offender, who had no criminal history, to stop and confront the man over the dispute.
Mr Campbell said the man had been to Relationships Australia and there was a parenting plan in place, but the mother had not adopted the plan and instead cut contact all together.
The man was placed on a good behaviour bond for three months.
If he appears in court within this time he will be ordered to pay $400.