A man has been hospitalised after his legs caught alight during a beach fire in Byron Bay.
A man has been hospitalised after his legs caught alight during a beach fire in Byron Bay. John Towells

Man hospitalised after legs caught fire

A MAN has been treated at Byron Bay Hospital after suffering burns to his lower legs while in the vicinity of a fire.

Police and ambulance personnel were called to Belongil Beach in Byron Bay at 1.30am last Thursday when a group of males attempted to light a fire on the beach, despite total fire bans.

One of the males threw some methylated spirits onto the flames as an accelerant, however some of the liquid splashed on the victims legs.

His legs subsequently caught fire and caused burns.

The victim and witnesses have indicated they are not willing to disclose who threw the spirits onto the fire.


Nanango fire being treated as suspicious

Nanango fire being treated as suspicious

A GRASS fire has broken out in East Nanango.

15 reasons you have to come to BaconFest

15 reasons you have to come to BaconFest

There are countless reasons you should come.

Wind warnings trigger large-scale fire ban

Wind warnings trigger large-scale fire ban

Fire permits from Bundaberg to the Sunshine Coast are suspended

Local Partners