Two-year-old Norah Armstrong was rushed to hospital after her mother Stacey Armstrong found her with an empty bottle of hand sanitiser.
Two-year-old Norah Armstrong was rushed to hospital after her mother Stacey Armstrong found her with an empty bottle of hand sanitiser.

Mum’s horror after toddler drinks hand sanitiser

HER two-year-old daughter clutching an empty bottle of hand sanitiser was a nightmare Mackay mum Stacey Armstrong never imagined until this week.

Ms Armstrong left her toddler Norah Armstrong in the kitchen for a few moments on Tuesday afternoon.

"I came back and she showed me the empty bottle of hand sanitiser," she said.

The panicked mother watched as Norah proudly held the potently alcoholic bottle.

Ms Armstrong said the sharp smell of the antiseptic was clear on Norah's breath.

Read more

Hospital staff roll up sleeves for flu vaccinations

Frustration ongoing over Mackay Base Hospital carparks

Why our health service had a $4.2M budget blowout

Ms Armstrong said her daughter was at an age where she was climbing and reaching for anything she could see.

Ms Armstrong thought the 59ml bottle of hand sanitiser stored over the family's microwave would be safe from Norah's adventurous hands.

"All I could think was 'It's my fault'," Ms Armstrong said.

Subscriber benefits:

WATCH: Your guide to reading the Daily Mercury online

Daily puzzles and Sudoku another reason to stay subscribed

We're still here: How to contact your journalists

Ms Armstrong said she immediately called poisons control, before taking Norah to Mackay Base Hospital.

"(The doctors) just asked me how much she drank, what her reaction was after."

Luckily Norah was only tipsy from the strong antiseptic, Ms Armstrong said.

"She was sort of drunk," she said.

"She's all better … it was a quick recovery."

Ms Armstrong said she and her daughter were able to remain calm throughout the stressful hospital visit.

Four hours later and the pair were able to leave hospital with a valuable lesson.

"I hope me and her have learnt our lesson," she said.

But she said parents who kept hand sanitiser in their nappy bags and around the house should be aware of the dangers.

"If your toddler can climb up things like Norah, put the chemicals up higher," she said.

Poisons Information Centre, phone 131 126

Two-year-old Norah Armstrong was rushed to hospital after her mother Stacey Armstrong found her with an empty bottle of hand sanitiser.
Two-year-old Norah Armstrong was rushed to hospital after her mother Stacey Armstrong found her with an empty bottle of hand sanitiser.

Mustangs youngsters claim third place at Kirk Reynoldson Cup

Premium Content Mustangs youngsters claim third place at Kirk Reynoldson Cup

A team of Murgon Mustangs travelled to Wandoan, walking away with 3rd place and a...

Latest Monto street art a stunning tribute to hotel publican

Premium Content Latest Monto street art a stunning tribute to hotel publican

TWO more works have joined Monto’s ever-growing art trail, with a historical wall...

The tragic link between two fatal Burnett car crashes

Premium Content The tragic link between two fatal Burnett car crashes

Burnett police have revealed a tragic link between two fatal crashes that occured...