A NEW inquiry into the January 2011 Grantham flooding which killed 12 people and washing away homes has been announced.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk told parliament the inquiry would begin gathering evidence about the flooding of the Lockyer Creek between Helidon and Grantham next week.
She said a DHI consultant report into the tragedy suggested several inconsistencies into the Queensland Floods Commission inquiry.
Ms Palaszczuk said the DHI report found there were multiple breaches of the quarry and a section of the embankment that collapsed was 260m long, not 55m as the Queensland Floods Commission reported.
The inquiry will focus on five issues, including whether the man-made impacts and natural features of the landscape and the existence or breach of the quarry caused or contributed to flooding.
How eyewitness accounts were dealt with will also be investigated.
Ms Palaszczuk said Mayor Steve Jones and Grantham residents had been calling for a new inquiry.
"Residents of Grantham have been calling for this inquiry and we have been listening," she said.
Barrister Walter Sofronoff will head the inquiry which will end on August 31.
It will include will about two weeks of consultation.
Wagners managing director Denis Wagner said his family had no issues or concerns with the inquiry.
"If anything we will welcome it as it will bring closure to the issue once and for all.
"It is clear by hydrology studies that the Grantham (quarry) reduced the impact of the flood.
"Subsequent reports in The Australian newspaper were not based on engineering facts but comments made by media personalities and politicians.''
- APN NEWSDESK
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.