TOOWOOMBA police are warning of a new scam that warns people they will go to prison if they do not pay a given amount of money.
Senior Constable Alex Singleton said the threat was "false".
"If you receive a letter from a government agency, like Immigration and they state that you have to pay a given amount of money or you will go to prison, it is false," he said.
"Only a court can 'send you to prison' and that can only happen after a court hearing, which you will attend."
- Toowoomba woman warns of email scam danger
- Scam costs dad $107,000
- Shopper warns of dodgy carpark salesmen
Snr Const Singleton urged people to not pay and instead report the scam.
"If you are worried, ring the agency mentioned. If no one has ever heard of the agency, then it does not exist."
Internet scams can be reported on the SCAMwatch website.
- Do not share your personal details by putting them on the web
- Keep your antivirus up to date
- Change your passwords regularly
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.