Cairns tragedy: home will be demolished
UPDATE: THE Cairns home where eight children were last week found brutally murdered will be demolished, with a public memorial to rise in its place.
A 37-year-old woman was charged with the eight murders at the weekend, believed to be her seven children and a niece.
The local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Aid is representing her in Cairns, fighting to have her case sent to the Mental Health Court for hearings.
But efforts to have the case referred to the Mental Health Court failed on Monday, with the woman remanded in custody until a hearing on January 30.
Yesterday Cairns state MP Gavin King confirmed the house where the children were found dead would be "removed", after consultation with family, neighbours and church leaders.
He said the decision to demolish the home was made partly on the basis of cultural beliefs.
A "long-term" public memorial would be built for grieving family and community members.
If you need help, phone Lifeline on 131 114.
Cairns tragedy: Police interview 100 witnesses
A MOTHER charged with murdering her seven children and her nice in Cairns on Friday has been excused from appearing in court on Monday.
After police arrested and formally interviewed the 37-year-old mother on Saturday, who cannot be named to protect the childrens's identities and she was charged on Sunday afternoon with eight counts of murder.
She remained in Cairns Base Hospital yesterday, under police guard suffering knife wounds and appeared before a magistrate at a bedside hearing where she was remanded in police custody.
Detective Inspector Bruno Asnicar said the investigations into the alleged murders would be ongoing.
"This is going to be a long process. I don't intent to hand that scene back until we do know (what happened inside)," he said. .
"In reality a great deal of the work starts now.
"The building of the brief of evidence is an ongoing process."
The charges came after the heartbroken father of some of the children had to be carried to a memorial for them.
The father of the three youngest children killed in the Manoora house in Cairns on Friday came with around 100 fellow mourners from the Torres Strait Islander community.
As he approached the park, next to the house, he began to collapse - unable to bring himself to walk. He cried out: "My babies, my babies" as other members of the procession openly wept.
Police told the media they had interviewed more than 100 witnesses in relation to the deaths.
Queensland Police acting assistant police commissioner Paul Taylor said News Corporation papers publishing of the children's names and faces despite police and community calls for them not to be named for cultural reasons was disheartening.
Detective Inspector Asnicar said publications who had named the children were risking breaking laws against protecting child victims of crimes.
- APN NEWSDESK