Popeye had it right when he picked spinach the 'superfood'
POPEYE got it right spinach is not only a healthy vegetable it really does give a power boost.
This humble green vegetable is jam packed with goodness & has zero fat content, it really is an A-MAZING veggie.
There are several varieties of spinach grown in many parts of the world but mainly here is Australia we have Silver beet which is a dark green crinkly & curly type leaf, English Spinach which is a small green leaf variety & then there is the Asian variety.
The leaves are the main part to eat but you can eat the stems if you choose too.
Silver beet has a thick white stem which most prefer to remove as it can be a little woody.
So why did Popeye think spinach was so good?
Well it's easy here are some nutritional facts:
- Low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol
- High in Dietary Fibre
- Packed with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper, Manganese, Thiamine, Folate & Zinc.
Cooking with Spinach
To prepare spinach just give it a good wash under the tap but don't soak it in water as this will cause a decrease in the vitamin value & also the taste.
Don't wash spinach before putting in the fridge & it will keep fresher longer if placed in a sealed plastic bag.
There are lots of ways to include spinach in your recipes such as tossed in a salad, cooked in a stir-fry or quiche or as a side vegetable.
I also love it in lasagnas or in soups & vegetable juicing too.
Here are 6 good reasons why you should include Spinach into your diet.
1. Eating just one cup of cooked spinach is as good as getting 35% of the body's required supply of iron for the day?
2. Spinach can also assist in curing anaemia which causes brittle nails, pale complexion, itching, hair dryness & drying of the mouth.
3. Iron is needed by the body to produce the right amount of oxygen which is an important element in restoring broken tissues.
4. It also helps in maintaining the skin's firmness through the increased production of collagen & elastin.
5. It also has neoxanthins that break up prostate cancer cells.
6. It can also help fight colon & breast cancer, researchers discovered that the juice of spinach has compounds that helps stop cancer cells from multiplying in the stomach & skin. So eat up and enjoy some amazing health benefits.
Roasted Pumpkin and Spinach Pie
* Recipe from Symply Too Good To Be True - Book 5
3 cups (300g) raw pumpkin cut in 1cm dice
¾ cup plain flour
¼ cup self-raising flour
2 tablespoons (30g) Flora Light® margarine
1½ tablespoons skim milk
1 egg white
1 teaspoon crushed garlic (in jar)
1 onion diced
1 bunch English spinach roughly chopped
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
1½ cups skim milk
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons salt-reduced vegetable stock powder
½ cup 25% reduced-fat grated tasty cheese
Preheat oven 180°C fan forced.
On a flat baking tray that has been generously coated with cooking spray, place diced pumpkin, coat with cooking spray. Bake 25 minutes or until browned.
To make pastry: In a medium size mixing bowl combine flours together. Melt margarine then add to milk.
Beat egg white into milk using a fork, pour into flour. Fold ingredients, if needed use your hands to help combine pastry.
Place on a well floured surface and roll out to fit a 23cm pie plate that has been coated with cooking spray.
To make filling: Coat a non-stick frypan with cooking spray and sauté garlic and onion for 1 minute.
Add spinach and toss until spinach has softened.
In a large mixing bowl beat whole eggs and whites using an electric beater for 1 minute.
Add milk, parmesan, stock powder, beat well.
Spoon spinach over pastry base then sprinkle diced pumpkin over top.
Pour egg mix over vegetables, sprinkle with grated cheese.
Bake 40 minutes or until cooked in centre and browned. Serve hot or cold.
Annette's cookbooks SYMPLY TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE 1-6 are sold in all good newsagencies or visit Annette's website www.symplytoogood.com.au for more recipes, tips and to check out her new 'Symply Slim & Healthy Mentoring Program'.