Menu
News

Prevention key as Queensland faces extreme fire danger

ALMOST two-thirds of Queensland will face severe to extreme fire danger from Wednesday.

Extreme temperatures, combined with a reduction in humidity, will see an area bounded in the south by the New South Wales border, west to the Northern Territory Border, east to the coastline and as far north as Charters Towers under bushfire alert.

Six water bombers and two aerial support aircrafts are being positioned across various parts of south western Queensland.

Community Safety Minister Jack Dempsey and the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service urged Queenslanders to be bushfire prepared as the State braced for what may be the most severe fire conditions seen this season.

"While currently there are no fires posing immediate threat to life and property, prevention will be the key over the coming days," Mr Dempsey said.

"The messages are clear - prepare now, don't light fires as conditions are far too dangerous, use extreme caution with power tools, slashers and other types of machinery and ensure all fires are fully extinguished.

"If they haven't done so already residents should also become familiar with their bushfire survival plan and the types of warnings they may receive in the event of a bushfire."

QFRS Commissioner Lee Johnson said fire permits had already been suspected across parts of the State.

"Residents who have obtained a Permit to Burn should defer any burning to a more suitable time as conditions are far too risky. I urge everyone in the affected areas to monitor the rural fire website and make contact with their local fire wardens to determine if fire bans apply to them," Mr Johnson said.

"Additional resources have also been mustered across the State to respond to potential fires.

"A strike team from Toowoomba arrived in Roma yesterday and incident control points have been established in Warwick, Dalby and Roma."

For further information during the event of a bushfire regularly turn into warnings by listening to your location radio and logging on to the Rural Fire Website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au.

>>Queensland set for a scorcher

Topics:  bushfire jack dempsey


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

BACON BOOM: Council approves two piggery expansions

FILE PHOTO: South Burnett Regional Council has approved the expansion of two piggeries

South Burnett Regional council approved developments this week

Five things to do in the South Burnett this weekend

Rural Ambassadors Olivia Frahm and Kate Roberts and Miss Showgirl Amanda Praetz at the Proston Show March 11.

Plenty on across the region this weekend

A new addition to the Times team

New South Burnett Times reporter Madeline Grace.

Welcome Madeline Grace to the team.

Local Partners