Prince Charles 'met Queen' days before virus infection
Prince Charles contracted coronavirus after he was the star guest at a fundraiser for an Australian bushfire relief dinner in London, as the Queen remains in isolation at Windsor Castle.
It emerged the heir to the throne met the Queen just a day before he became infectious with the deadly virus.
The 71-year-old tested positive for the bug on Monday night after he began to display mild symptoms - but remains in "good health".
Prince Charles had also met Prince Albert of Monaco this month at a charity event in London, just a few days before the son of the late Grace Kelly tested positive for the virus.
Clarence House confirmed the diagnosis for the Duke of Cornwall, 71, saying he had mild symptoms, "but otherwise remains in good health".
He was to remain in Scotland while he recovers.
The news is a blow as Britain deals with a spike in the outbreak, particularly when Prince Charles fits into the high-risk category for complications, although he has no known underlying illnesses.
A makeshift 4000-bed hospital was being built in East London to deal with an expected wave of cases.
Clarence House said in a statement: "The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual."
Prince Charles' doctors have estimated that he was contagious on March 13 - a day after he attended a fundraiser for the Australian bushfires at Mansion House in London.
He has not seen the Queen since that date, according to royal sources, as she remains at Windsor Castle with Prince Philip.
It was expected he had a mild version of the illness. He has spoken to Prince William and Prince Harry to let them know.
Prince Charles had been using a namaste greeting in recent weeks after health officials told people to stop shaking hands.
Although, the dedicated, hard working royal, was seen several times forgetting the directive and offering people his hand.
Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, has tested negative to the virus and the couple were now in self isolation at Balmoral Castle.
"In accordance with Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland."
The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.
"It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks."
There were more than 200 people at the Australian bushfire relief fundraising dinner on March 12, with guests mingling in close proximity at the event, which raised more than $A400,000.
Australian comedian Adam Hills ran an auction, with a host of London-based Australian business heavyweights in attendance at the intimate function.
The Queen, 93, moved from Buckingham Palace to Windsor Castle earlier than usual because of the outbreak and she had been wearing gloves when handing out awards before she cancelled her engagements.
Prince Philip, 98, came down from his cottage in Norfolk to join her at Windsor.
A Buckingham Palace staffer had also contracted coronavirus.
Over 70s had been told to stay at home for 12 weeks in Britain because of the higher risk of complications from the virus.
The royal family appears to have been prepared for the virus, separating those in direct line to the throne.
Prince William and Kate have moved to Amner Hall in Norfolk, three hours from London.