Police to step up war on speeding, despite road toll fall
AS Queensland records its lowest February road fatalities in a decade, a new road safety campaign will aim to ensure it stays low as Easter fast approaches.
The road toll has reduced dramatically in Central Queensland - including the Mackay, Rockhampton and Wide Bay areas - which is down by 20 so far this year.
But there has been improvements in all policing regions except for the tropical north.
The Queensland Government this week finalised $82 million of road safety projects, announced as part of the $350 million, two-year Road Safety Action Plan.
This will include intersection upgrades, wider centre lines on two-lane highways and more bicycle lanes throughout the state.
It follows the Join the Drive to Save Lives Christmas campaign, which used real Queenslanders giving their road safety tips.
This year's Easter campaign, which police are working on now, will target drivers' attitudes towards speeding.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the work of police and a new road safety campaign for Easter were just the start of the effort to make driving safer.
"In February this year we saw 12 fatalities on our roads, this is the equal lowest month on record along with February 1999 and February 2004," Mr Emerson said.
"While this is encouraging, people are still losing their lives on our roads and we can't slow down our efforts to make driving safer."
Police Minister Jack Dempsey asked drivers to remember the Fatal Five - do not drink, do not speed, wear a seat belt, do not drive distracted and do not drive fatigued "The 2010 road toll was the lowest since accurate records began and I'm hoping this year's start gives everyone the motivation to take care whenever they're behind the wheel," he said.
Up to midnight Monday (3 March), there were 34 deaths on Queensland roads - 24 fewer than the same time last year.