Queensland's OP shake-up to start in 2017
QUEENSLAND schools are in for a shake-up with the State Government proposing to remove OPs and the Queensland Core Skills test.
Education minister John-Paul Langbroek announced on Monday morning the government had agreed in-principle to overhauling the 20-year-old Overall Position system.
"The OP system has served Queensland well since its introduction in 1992, but it is becoming less relevant as education evolves," he said.
Last year we commissioned an independent review of the Queensland system by the Australian Council for Educational Research - including extensive consultation with teachers, universities, parent associations and unions."
Mr Langbroek said changes would be not be introduced before 2017 for students entering Year 11.
The Australian Council for Educational Research made 23 recommendations and the Queensland Government published its response to the review today.
"Our draft response supports key recommendations of the review, which include moving away from the Overall Position tertiary entrance rank and the Queensland Core Skills Test," Mr Langbroek said.
Mr Langbroek said proposal called for senior subject should results to come from three school-based assessments plus one external assessment and will result in students being given a national Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) rather than OP.
"Universities taking responsibility for the whole tertiary entrance process would allow the Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority to focus on its core curriculum, testing and certification functions," he said.
He said the public were invited to share their views on these important matters through an online survey or by making written submissions.
This would enable students and families to plan senior pathways, while ensuring that schools and teachers were fully prepared for the new arrangements.
The independent review was led by Professor Geoff Masters and Doctor Gabrielle Matters.
"There was a general acceptance in the community of the need for a review and it was heartening to see the spirited way in which people put forward their views," Dr Matters said.
"Thousands of stakeholders and interested parties were involved in the review process."
Dr Matters said the review also considered procedures in other countries and Australian states.
The government's proposed response and the online survey can be accessed at deta.qld.gov.au/about/government-responses/senior-assessment-review.html
Consultation will continue until 31 March 2015, with the government final response to be tabled by mid-2015.