RACQ slams rising cost of owning and driving a vehicle
QUEENSLAND drivers will be stung with increases to transport fees at the start of the new financial year.
RACQ spokesperson Clare Hunter said motorists would be slugged with a raft of increases including licence fees, vehicle registration fees and fines from July 1.
"Once again drivers will be paying more to cover the cost of renewing their licences and they'll be out of pocket more to keep their vehicles registered,” Ms Hunter said.
"The cost of a driver licence will increase to as much as $180.70 for a five-year licence.”
Ms Hunter called on the Queensland Government to freeze registration after it was revealed costs had increased by more than 17 per cent in the past five years.
"Queensland drivers pay more for rego on average than anywhere else in Australia. The average driver of a four-cylinder car will pay as much as $385.90 a year to keep their car on the road,” she said.
"Rego is rising by 2.25 per cent, which stings more than it should, with the increase higher than the rate of inflation.”
Ms Hunter said drivers caught doing the wrong thing could expect to pay more, with a penalty unit increasing by 2.25 per cent, up to $133.45, on the first day of the new financial year.
"Don't say you weren't warned, the cost of breaking the law - like speeding or hooning - just got more expensive,” she said.
Ms Hunter said anyone travelling to Brisbane should realise toll prices would also be increasing by the Consumer Price Index.
"Prices will increase, putting the most expensive toll at $5.19 for a one-way journey,” she said.
"Aside from the AirportlinkM7, every other toll road charge around the state's southeast will also go up. So whether you travel on the Gateway Bridge, Clem7, Legacy Way, Go Between Bridge and Logan Motorway, expect to cough up more.”
Queensland driver licence fees:
Licence duration and cost
- 1 year licence: jumps from $78.90 to $80.70.
- 2 year licence: jumps from $110.00 to $112.50.
- 3 year licence: jumps from $136.15 to $139.20.
- 4 year licence: jumps from $157.55 to $161.05.
- 5 year licence: jumps from $176.75 to $180.70.
Queensland registration fees (including traffic improvement fee):
Cylinders and cost
- 4 cylinder jumps from $377.40 to $385.90.
- 5 or 6 cylinder jumps from $564.90 to $577.60.
- 7 or 8 cylinder jumps from $768.65 to $785.95.
Toll point and car toll
- Murarrie jumps from $4.55 to $4.62.
- Kuraby jumps from $2.68 to $2.72.
- Loganlea jumps from $1.72 to $1.75.
- Heathwood/Paradise Rd jumps from $2.84 to $2.88.
- Go Between Bridge jumps from $3.19 to $3.23.
- Clem 7 jumps from $5.11 to $5.19.
- Legacy Way jumps from $5.11 to $5.19.
The fine for driving 13-20km/h over the speed limit has jumped from $261 to $266.
The fine for driving without due care and attention has jumped from $5222 to $5338.