Severe thunderstorm warning for parts of Wide Bay Burnett
THE Bureau of Metereology have just released a severe weather warning for damaging winds and large hailstones for those living in the North and South Burnett, Sunshine Coast, Brisbane and Somerset areas.
Severe thunderstorms were detected on the radar near Strathpine, Linville and Blackbutt at 4:05pm.
It is believed these storms are moving towards the east to northeast.
Damaging winds and large hailstones are likely. 83km/h wind gust was reported at Gatton at 2:10pm.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the Capricornia, Wide Bay and Burnett and parts of the Central Coast and Whitsundays, Central Highlands and Coalfields, Darling Downs and Granite Belt and Southeast Coast districts.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:00 pm.