Severe thunderstorm warning for South Burnett
A SEVERE thunderstorm warning has been issued for the South Burnett this afternoon.
The Bureau of Meteorology has warned residents about thunderstorms with damaging winds, heavy rainfall and large hailstones approaching.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is current for parts of the Wide Bay and Burnett, Maranoa and Warrego, Darling Downs, Central Highlands, Coalfields, Granite Belt and Southeast Coast districts.
BOM detected severe thunderstorms on the weather radar near Laidley, Grandchester, Macalister and Jimbour at 3.20pm.
These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to the southeast.
They are forecast to affect Leyburn, Rosewood, Hatton Vale and Bell by 3.55pm and Mt Mowbullan, Amberley, Marburg and the area west of Warwick and south of Amberley by 4.25pm.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters.
- If it's flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.