Kingaroy siege culprit handed jail sentence
THE man responsible for threatening to blow up his house while 42 police officers surrounded the property in a 23-hour Kingaroy siege has been sentenced for his crimes.
More than one year after the siege, and after serving 97 days in custody, Justin Brian McMahon was sentenced to two years imprisonment with parole eligibility in six months.
When McMahon, 41, appeared in Kingaroy District Court on Wednesday, he pleaded guilty to seven charges, including four counts of serious assault to a police officer, a bomb hoax, threatening violence and contravening a domestic violence order.
Crown prosecutor Peter O'Connor described McMahon's crimes on January15 last year as "deplorable".
"When police attended, the defendant went into a bedroom where four children were," Mr O'Connor said.
"He grabbed one of the children by the arm, took a knife, held it to his own throat and threatened to stab himself."
The prosecutor also said police officers were forced to taser McMahon in front of the children.
Mr O'Connor said the children were removed from the house and a fifth child jumped from a bedroom window to get out.
He told the court McMahon released gas and threatened to blow up the house.
"Police heard and smelt gas being released," he said.
Defence counsel Harry Fong said McMahon's behaviour resulted from a bad childhood.
Mr Fong said McMahon was sexually abused at six, and physically abused at 14.
He said McMahon's children would inevitably suffer most from his behaviour.
Judge Fleur Kingham said she accepted the sentence she imposed would impact on McMahon's children but said his children never "provided significant motivation" to not offend in the past.
The convictions were recorded.