Police escort an 18-year-old man from Kanangra St, Redbank Plains, who held two women hostage for over five hours yesterday.
Police escort an 18-year-old man from Kanangra St, Redbank Plains, who held two women hostage for over five hours yesterday. Claudia Baxter

Siege drama in suburbia

UPDATE 9.15am: A man has been charged with deprivation of liberty, assault occasioning bodily harm whilst armed, extortion and threatening violence in relation to an alleged incident at Redbank Plains yesterday.

Goodna detectives will allege the 18-year-old Redbank Plains man held a 48-year-old woman against her will at a Kanangra Street residence and also threatened a 21-year-old woman.

He will appear in the Ipswich Magistrates Court today.

The 48-year-old woman has received treatment for non life threatening injuries.


EARLIER UPDATE: ARMED police laid siege to a home in a usually quiet suburban street yesterday as a man held two women hostage at knifepoint.

Dozens of regular officers were backed by hostage negotiators and a team of heavily-armed Special Emergency Response Team (SERT) after the teenage suspect called police himself at 7.30am.

The 18-year-old allegedly threatened to harm his 48-year-old mother and a 21-year-old woman, believed to be his sister, who were in the house in Kanangra St, Redbank Plains.

He surrendered to police after a tense five-hour stand-off and was last night still being interviewed by police at Springfield police station.

As they arrived at the scene, police called for back-up and swiftly sealed off the street and nearby Keidges Rd after crowds of residents turned out to watch the drama unfold.

The 21-year-old woman was freed at about 9am, but the man and his mother remained inside the two-storey house.

About 10am officer in charge Inspector David Preston told reporters "things have gotten a little worse than we anticipated".

The Special Emergency Response Team arrived at about 11am in a fully-armoured vehicle.

Police dogs and about a dozen SERT officers walked down Kanangra St towards the property.

Finally, at 12.50pm, a call of "Get down!" was heard from the top of the street and police escorted the 48-year-old woman to safety.

The woman's other children, including her 21-year-old daughter, a son and another daughter embraced the woman upon her release.

SERT officers then wrestled the 18-year-old man, who appeared to be wearing only a T-shirt and his underwear, to the ground and arrested him.

Ipswich District Inspector David Preston said police had responded appropriately to serious threats of harm.

"The 18-year-old was threatening harm to female residents of the house; threatening harm with a knife, I believe," Insp Preston said.

"We had a number of resources available, the police dogs were available and we had a Special Emergency Response Team on hand but they weren't required.

"Through negotiation he surrendered and came out to police.

"Neither parties had any injuries... the mother was OK and is being cared for by her family."

Redbank Plains resident Tim Ferrier said he was a close friend of the 18-year-old man.

"He's only just turned 18, I've known him for two years now and I see him around all the time," Mr Ferrier said.

"I dropped him off here yesterday and I know he's had a rough time at the moment, but I didn't expect this.

"He loves his mum, he wouldn't do anything to her."

Mr Ferrier said the 18-year-old was a meatworker who had recently broken up with his girlfriend.

"He was having a few issues. I think he was a bit messed up about that."

Blame game over $5.85b roadworks backlog

Premium Content Blame game over $5.85b roadworks backlog

Cost of required works on Queensland’s state controlled roads has soared

70+ PHOTOS: All the action from the 2021 Nanango Bull Ride

Premium Content 70+ PHOTOS: All the action from the 2021 Nanango Bull Ride

See all the nailbiting action from Friday night’s bull riding, making for a...

Man tragically dies after fatal collision with kangaroo

Premium Content Man tragically dies after fatal collision with kangaroo

A motorbike rider has tragically died after hitting a kangaroo this morning