MEDICS forced a student to stay awake for a week to prevent a parasite from burrowing into her eyeball.
Jessica Greaney, 18, had eyedrops administered every ten minutes for seven days in a row after doctors found a small worm-like creature in her left eye from a contact lens.
Miss Greaney, a first-year English student at the University of Nottingham, was told she got the parasite - acanthamoeba keratitis - in her eye after a drop of tap water splashed on her contact lens.
At first, she thought she had an eye infection as her eyelid was dropping, which was then mis-diagnosed as an ulcer by doctors.
She said: "But, by the end of the week, my eye was bulging, and it looked like a huge red golf ball. It was swollen, and extremely painful, and they admitted me into hospital.
Read more at the NZ Herald.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.