Telstra users cannot make calls. Picture: Supplied
Telstra users cannot make calls. Picture: Supplied

Telstra hit by another mobile outage

AUSTRALIAN mobile phone users connected to Telstra network faced another serious outage today after reports thousands of customers were unable to make phone calls or access the internet on their smartphones across Australia.

The issues affected Telstra wholesale customers in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Hobart, Adelaide, and Darwin, with the company reporting connections were either "interrupted" or "intermittent".

It's understood several thousand Australians using Telstra services through discount carriers such as Woolworths Mobile, ALDIMobile, and Belong lost services after 6.30pm last night as part of the outage, but a Telstra spokesman said most of the customers had been reconnected by 2pm today.

"There was a vendor platform issue that impacted (MVNO) services for a small number of wholesale customers," the spokesman said.

"The majority of those services have already been restored. We apologise to these wholesale customers for any inconvenience."

The user-generated map of where Telstra users are experiencing issues. Picture: AussieOutages.com
The user-generated map of where Telstra users are experiencing issues. Picture: AussieOutages.com

Many turned to social media and AussieOutages to complain about the latest Telstra connection problems, with some reporting they could only make phone calls to emergency numbers.

The Telstra wholesale network problem followed Telstra's five-hour nationwide mobile phone outage on May 21 that was caused by multiple faults, with a software problem causing a domino effect inside its network.

Millions of Australians were left without access to voice and internet services on their mobile phones during the outage.

Despite restoring services, Telstra was unable to name the specific cause of the fault.

In a statement, the company revealed the software problem "triggered multiple elements across the network to fail" and even backup systems designed to rescue the situation did not work.

Another Telstra mobile network outage on May 1 also disconnected mobile phones from the 4G network nationwide for two hours.

Despite the string of outages, Telstra networks group managing director Mike Wright previously rejected calls for all customers to be compensated, and said even a day of unlimited mobile data downloads would not be considered as customers "with such generous allowances" did not need it.


Bacon festival raises staggering amount for farmers in need

Bacon festival raises staggering amount for farmers in need

Visitors at BaconFest 2018 raised $16,000 for farmers

27 charged with drug and weapons offences

27 charged with drug and weapons offences

Operation Pine charged 27 people with 77 drugs and weapons offences.

Abbott's visit focuses on school attendance

Abbott's visit focuses on school attendance

Former PM suggests changes for better teachers in remote schools.

Local Partners