Sand mine concerns will be addressed, Trad tells petitioners

NEARLY 6000 petitioners will have to wait until mid February to find out if the State Government has supported their call to reject a proposed sand mining operation at Forest Glen.

Planning Minister Jackie Trad has responded to a paper petition containing 3968 signatures and a 1713-signature e-Petition presented to parliament by Buderim MP Steve Dickson stating that a complex suite of interests required careful consideration and rigorous assessment.

Plans for the sand mine on land to the north of Maroochydore Rd, west of Kunda Park, stirred a groundswell of opposition.

In response to the petitions, Ms Trad said the development application for a sand extraction operation had been referred to the Department of Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning on May 22, 2015, in its capacity as the State Assessment and Referral Agency.

Ms Trad said: "The matters to be considered will cover many of the concerns raised in the petition and an assessment will be made in collaboration with other departments.

"Technical advice has been provided to date by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection, the Department of Transport and Main Roads, and the Department of Natural Resources and Mines, with third party advice requested from Energex."

Petitioners listed a number of concerns about the proposed development including its size and its location adjacent to Eudlo Creek and residential areas.


Kingaroy continue winning ways

Kingaroy continue winning ways

The Kingaroy Red Ants sported pink for a good cause on Saturday.

Queensland and Australian titles decided

Queensland and Australian titles decided

Australia's top drivers went head to head in Kingaroy on Saturday.

More than a footy team

More than a footy team

South Burnett's first open women's rugby league team.

Local Partners