Whincup takes aim at Supercars boss over appeal 'debacle'
MOTORSPORT: Jamie Whincup has described the distraction of a controversial Bathurst 1000 aftermath as a "speed hump”.
It's not one he has driven over with a degree of caution, however, taking a swipe at Supercars chief executive James Warburton for "playing dirty” in the lead-up to Red Bull Racing's appeal against a 15-second penalty, which cost him the win at Mount Panorama.
The protest was dismissed by the Supercars National Court of Appeal in Melbourne on Tuesday night.
And while Whincup confirmed the team would not be taking the matter further, he used a blog to hit back at Warburton for claiming they had been "un-Australian”.
He described the fallout as a "debacle”, and stood by his comments when fronting media today.
"I just wanted to get all the facts from my point of view,” he said.
"Everyone has said their opinion. Now it's up to our fan base to make a decision on what is right and wrong.”
Red Bull ruled out going to the FIA International Court of Appeal.
"Our whole Bathurst campaign finished at 5pm last night when I posted that blog,” Whincup said.
The focus now turns to this weekend's Gold Coast 600, with Whincup (2385 points) trailing teammate Shane van Gisbergen (2524) at the top of the standings.
"I would be lying if I said the appeal had not been a distraction,” Whincup said. "It's a speed bump. We will just try and concentrate on the job this weekend.”
Whincup said he was keen to work with Supercars officials to improve the penalty process.
"I feel my penalty at Bathurst ... showed we still have a fair way to go refining it,” he said.